Many articles are out there that tell us in HR how to onboard a new employee. But there are things you can do as a new addition to the team that will ensure your success, and as much as we wish every onboarding would be 100% complete and effective, you can’t rest on your laurels and expect everything you need to come to you. It will increase your success if you make sure that these critical things happen:
- Find out who your resources are for the critical things you need on day one.
- Ensure you have access to technology you need.
- Ask questions-don’t pretend you know everything and risk making mistakes because you were too proud to ask.
- Take responsibility for the job on day one-don’t make excuses about the challenges that predated your arrival.
- Be friendly, open and understanding while you learn the lay of the land socially-don’t make assumptions about people based on a single interaction, or what others tell you.
These are just a few tips-I am living them right now as I start my third week in a new role, at a new company. Please share your thoughts in the comments about what you think I should be doing as I onboard myself!
Visit Solve HR, Inc.